Thursday, March 13, 2014

Where I am... | Slice 13:31

This is where I am today...

I'm clunking down my tall, straight stairway in too-big shoes
Almost missing treads I usually make
Slipping around the toe box looking for just the right spot
the familiar spot
with time-worn impressions
to cushion my steps
and bring me back to the places I know best
As twilight fades from cornflower to navy
I search for reminders
to guide me
to nestle my heel
as it sails free
in the shoes of another
clunk
clunk
clunk

But now I've made it
down the treads
past the spot where the stairway angles
and puddles into the cherry-stained floor
despite the bumpy ride
I'm here in
the shoes I have made my own
as I dream of 
another trip up 
on another day

Write on,
b

The work never matches the dream of perfection the artist has to start with.

- William Faulkner

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful poem, B. The language made me feel like I was slipping around in those too-big shoes before too. But you found a way to make it all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your descriptive words - especially 'cornflower to navy.' What a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your passions reflect in this poem. The "too-big shoes" clunking. It seems dangerous, but "despite the bumping ride" you make it. I especially liked "the spot where the stairway angles
    and puddles."

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)