Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pillow talk... | Slice 19:31

The covers snug around my face, I started one last conversation with my husband before sleep.

B: Today in a planning meeting, we talked about subordinating and coordinating conjunctions. 

T: I don't remember what those are.

B: Well, a subordinating conjunction introduces a dependent clause, like 'When I get my hair done, I will have no grey hair.'

T: Oh, right. OK.

B: And a coordinating conjunction connects words, phrases, and clauses, like 'I want ice cream and french fries for dinner.' Think FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.

T: Got it.

B: Then we started talking about the Oxford comma.


T: Are you kidding me?

B: Of course not. Oxford commas are important. I mean, you've seen that poster that says, 'Let's eat Grandma' and 'Let's eat, Grandma.'



T: Yes. But it's bigger than that. I once had a whole undergrad class session devoted to its use. Not everyone agrees that that last comma is as important as you think it is. 

B: Really? Why? If you don't include the last comma, you end up putting two things together that may not necessarily go. Like not everything goes together like peanut butter and jelly, right? If you put two items together without the comma, the list makes no sense. 



T: Yes. But sometimes the comma takes up space. Word economy is critical to writers. So is space economy.


B: I still think the Oxford comma makes the most sense and I will still keep using it.

T: OK.

B: Good night, love.

T: Good night, love.


Write on,
b

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so for the much needed laugh! I'm assuming you have already read Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss :) I loved the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, S. Peters! We so don't need outside help on how to talk nerdy!! :)

      Delete
  2. It's a good thing your husband was willing to accept your argument. Oxford commas are the kind of thing that can really come between a husband and wife--especially if they are the last two items in a list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giggling, Valerie! Thanks for your reply! :)

      Delete
  3. This is amazing...first that you had the conversation and then that you had all these perfect cartoons/pictures to support your writing today! I love it! I will be sure to be on the lookout for those oxford commas (now that I know what they are). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my word...how I laughed!!! English teachers rule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love those commas! A great laugh for the day. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much wonderful writing in this slice! Great conversation writing to prove a point, argument for an opinion (which I totally share!), and nice visual support. But most of all it was engaging. I will smile all day remembering this!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)