Friday, March 28, 2014

Ice cream? | Slice 28:31

I am watching 'Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives', sitting cross-legged on the family room rug while my husband runs to the grocery store for ice cream. It's amazing how easily our conversation transitioned from idea to grabbing shoes, one wallet, and a set of keys...

He giggles, "You know, I'm still hungry."

"I could eat again...I'm not really full either," I throw out the way a little child does with an encouraging nod and a wink that ensures he'll ultimately get what he wants.

He bites. "Well, I could go to Marsh. If you could have anything you want, what would it be?"

"My favorite is Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. You'd love it -- chocolate ice cream full of mini chocolate fish and intersecting rivers of caramel and marshmallow cream.Will you try to find that?"

"Will it be on sale?"

Our eyes meet; he reads them like a billboard.

Then he advances a knowing glance. One that covers my tired body like a cozy blanket. One that acknowledges the strife I feel when analyzing (and over-analyzing) my next career move and lets me know that it will be alright. One that soothes my spirit by plying it with sweet treats, because even if it doesn't make any sense to my diet...it most surely does for my mental health.

Guy Fieri continues to jabber about greasy treats, cheesy delights, and desserts slathered in sauces; I keep typing.

I won't lie -- I'm looking forward to the perfect bite of Phish Food that is speckled with a little ice cream, oozing with a caramel, marshmallowy river, and built on one perfectly incorporated chocolate fish.




I think I hear the garage door opening...

Write on,
b


6 comments:

  1. Enjoy that Phish Food, you've had a heck of a week and a little frozen chocolate can soothe the soul for a bit. I love the way you phrase your words. Now I will be fetching some dessert from my fridge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! A perfect sweetness, your husband going to fetch you your favorite ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make myself a dish of ice cream right now!! I love what is said and not said in the exchange with your husband. He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like some Phish Food for Friday night! These words enticed me "...speckled with a little ice cream, oozing with a caramel, marshmallowy river, and built on one perfectly incorporated chocolate fish." And I don't even like chocolate ice cream! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Sounds so delicious. If it weren't pouring here, I'd send my hubby out to the grocery store to get some Ben and Jerry's ice cream for me right now. ;)

    On another note, I'm seriously concerned about Guy Fieri. Can you imagine what his bloodwork results look like? I can't even imagine how much blood pressure medication and Lipitor he must take to do his job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dialogue with well-known insider descriptions is something else. You really are talented. What I wouldn't give for some Phish food right now. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)