Friday, July 1, 2011

Facelift...

If you've visited my blog before, you'll notice today's refresh in background, labeling, and title badge.  It's always an adventure to take something you already know and change it up a little.  I hope you enjoy the formatting as much as I do --- now it looks more like me :) --- and it's functionality is increased!

My blog's improvements mirror how we strengthen, deepen, and alter writing instruction by adding a more personalized dimension and/or beefing up teaching points.  In conspiring with a colleague today about ideas for next year's writing workshop, a familiar strategy for mining writing territories showed up with a facelift.  Most everyone is acquainted with Carl Anderson's work helping students dig up writing topics they know and care about (more details available in his conferring bundle---awesome!) and then listing off these territories to provide writing inspiration.  Well, here's a facelift...Katie Wood Ray-style!

On a crisp, new writer's notebook page students outline his/her hand.  Inside, on fingers and palms, students list special memories about significant things they've touched.  Hmmmm.  What a great visual support for young writers...and, it's sticky too...it's purpose and usefulness will long remain!

I really want to put myself in students' shoes when teaching new strategies.  My teaching is more authentic and nuanced that way.  So, here it goes --- I'll give it a try.  Here are the contents of my hand list:
  • The first time I touched my sweet newborn son in the hospital...
  • The first time I felt my baby kick from within me...
  • When I gave my hand in marriage...
  • When I super-glued my thumb and pointer finger together (accidentally!)...
  • When I hand-mix my family's favorite meatloaf...
How about you --- What would show up on your hand list?  Get out your writer's notebook and generate some potential writing topics using this strategy.

Then...are there other strategies you could extend and/or update with a facelift?  Maybe add a personalized spin?  Maybe update for functionality's sake?  Look back through your teaching repertoire and try out a few high-utility strategies.  Feel free to share what you create in the comments section!! :)

Write on,
b

1 comment:

  1. Lovely list. This is a strategy that I used awhile ago & am happy to be reminded. Thanks for the inspiration (I posted my latest on my blog).

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)