So, if you've read a little bit about me you already know I LOVE to buy books, shoes, and journals. I am honest and up front about my proclivities. :) And, with the start of school here for my district, it is just the right time to pour over some new professional titles for bits and bobs I can try on for size with staff and students. My teaching, writing, and conversations will be richer with updates...my thinking, expanded.
Right now, here's my shopping list:
- Writing Toward Home: Tales and Lessons to Find Your Way - Georgia Heard
- Thinking Through Genre: Units of Study in Reading and Writing Workshops Grades 4-12 - Heather Lattimer
- The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (And They're All Hard Parts) - Katie Wood Ray
- Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop - Jeff Anderson
- Everyday Editing - Jeff Anderson
- My Quick Writes: Everyday Writing - Donald Graves and Penny Kittle
- Writing Places: The Life Journey of a Writer and Teacher - William Zinsser
- Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices - Ralph Fletcher
- Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing - Ralph Fletcher
I'd love your input, too. Please post your picks for any or all of the following categories...
- Which sturdy books do you lean upon when considering writing instruction?
- Do you have go-to titles, easily accessible for a chapter here and there?
- If you could only recommend one book that strengthened your own writing or writing instruction, what would it be?
If you were close by, I'd definitely ask to have a coffee date so we could chat more about your favorites. (Good conversation is the perfect accompaniment to a spicy chai latte!)
Thanks a million for sharing...I love that we can all learn from each other electronically!