Monday, March 10, 2014

Patience & Mary Janes | Slice 10:31

They first called to me
passing through Nordstrom's shoe sanctuary
as Indian summer played outside under signature cornflower skies
I made a beeline
toward fancy Mary Janes with
teardrop cutouts
a wedge heel
and peep toe
Their black suede exterior
made me think
I'd like to have these; I'd wear them often
At better than $90
my head silenced my heart

A few months passed
I sped through Nordstrom
Finishing last-minute Christmas shopping
Banners pointed toward one section of women's shoes
Clearance
Their faint call became more pronounced
amidst the holiday hustle and bustle
Another beeline
toward triple-tiered racks
brimming with fancy shoes
knock-around shoes
glittery shoes
boat shoes
and
my
Mary Jane
shoes
Encouraging trendy clerks
to dismiss unsightly
wintry toes
hiding beneath knee socks
and tall boots
I tried them on

Cinderella

Today, spring teased us
with impressive warmth
my thoughts ran toward
teardrop cutouts
peep toe
a wedge heel
toenail polish and
black pencil pants
Getting dressed
was fun again
My Mary Janes
were
worth
the
wait


Bonus post script: They're even comfy! :)

Write on,
b


4 comments:

  1. So glad the clearance rack allowed your heart to at last win out over your head! These shoes are SO cute and their being comfy makes them perfect! Cinderella for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful! And what a bonus to find your beautiful Cinderella shoes on clearance! #thebest!
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cinderella line!! And then to SEE them at the end! Your words made that very picture in my mind! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your poem! patience sure paid well! And the shoes are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)