Tuesday, March 18, 2014

18 | 18:31

18
years since high school graduation
books on writing instruction line my shelves
tank tops balloon from a single hanger
pairs of flip-flops long for sunshine
coffee mugs fill my too-tight cupboards
steps separate sleepers from parents who are awake
black t-shirts, turtlenecks, sweaters, and blouses lie in wait for tomorrow
jars of spices mingle in the cabinet by our stove
pairs of earrings stare out from their clear case
gallons of gas fuel my travels each week
cookies from Grandma anchor weeknight desserts
serenades at the Crosby, Stills, & Nash concert Friday
bobby pins blanket my vanity drawer
coupons pop out of my purse
colored pencils sit at the ready
post-it notes dangle from books I want to think more about
18

And some of you expected me to write about Peyton Manning... :)

Write on,

6 comments:

  1. Now that's the way to view a number. I loved the flip-flops longing for the sunshine, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you structured this, and was jealous of this experience: serenades at the Crosby, Stills, & Nash concert Friday.
    They must be touring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this idea! I would like to use it in a post of my own or use it to inspire my students as they write their own slices. May I? It was so well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! Absolutely -- feel free to use this. :)
      b

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and pleasing surprise, and no, hoping you weren't going to write about Peyton, although I thought about it; I live in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to create a list with your writing. Each one made me think - some made me smile, some created a longing... Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)