Friday, March 7, 2014

It's Friday | Slice 7:31

It's Friday

I'm home well before everyone today
And even though I always have music on, I don't now
I'm drinking in the silence
The mental gymnastics, race-running, problem-solving, and talking, all dissipate
An organic symphony envelopes me like a chamois blanket

Inside,
The hum of the refrigerator switching gears
The roar of the furnace regulating the internal temperature before 5:00 pm
The water rushing through pipes
The gentle rumbling of cars and trucks as they travel past our neighborhood
The laptop's high-pitched whir

Outside,
The birds chirping and playing
The neighborhood dogs barking while walking past
The mail truck breaking and accelerating, breaking and accelerating
The neighbors arriving home from work and school,
staying outside just a few extra minutes to walk, to ride, to run
before dinner, and bedtime, and bath.

I'm home well before everyone today
And even though I always have music on, I don't now
I'm drinking in the silence
The mental gymnastics, race-running, problem-solving, and talking, all dissipate
An organic symphony envelopes me like a chamois blanket

It's Friday

Write on,
b



3 comments:

  1. Love this...."I'm home well before everyone." The infrequency of this occurrence is loud and clear. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sensory detail! I love the repeated line. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such serenity being home alone and noting the sounds within and without. They are sounds you never notice when the family arrives. Love repetition too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)