Thursday, March 30, 2017

30: You

I snuggled into bed with you
early afternoon today
You yawned - I knew it was time
You cradled your blankie and rubbed the tag
while sucking your thumb
Your tell-tale sign

It was time for me, too
I don't remember much
past your yawn
your blankie
your thumb

I made it over the hill...
...and then woke up to you 
tapping my nose and 
finger-combing my hair
and giggling

One more tiny kiss on the hair
"Sleep tight"
and
"I'll set the timer and you can get up when it goes off"
and
"Make sure you're quiet enough to hear it..."

And you ran around upstairs instead
while I sat downstairs reading

So I invited you, again, to
"Stay in bed quietly"
"Just five more minutes"
and 
"Be super still..."

And guess what?

You were

For better than three hours

***

At dinnertime
you bounced downstairs
to notice the cookies on the cooling rack
"I was TIRED, Mommy!"
and 
"That was a goooooood nap!"
fell between cookie one
and cookie two

***

Sleepy you...
Funny you...
Growing you...
Blessing...you

Write on,
b

3 comments:

  1. Ah a topic I can relate to...
    love the way you brought the poem to end in the last 4 lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah a topic I can relate to...
    love the way you brought the poem to end in the last 4 lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I love that you finally won the nap war. :) And his comment was so precious. Win, win for momma today.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)