Thursday, March 2, 2017

1: Break the Budget

It's like I'm standing in a store
nickel and diming the decision to pass or buy
that unique (and beautiful...) dress
My inner monolog presents
valid
        captivating
                  enticing
                            resonating reasons
In dissent, in affirmation
The crowds mill, I'm lost in thought

This is where I've been the past few weeks
"Do I slice?"

"I don't have time to write right now...projects, presentations, complicated bedtime routines"
But you can make the time...you do every March

"I don't have much to say right now..."
But you can use all the stories from the past year...the special, the maddening...you can preserve them

"I don't think I'll be able to keep up with reading and commenting"
But you can budget, my dear, a little bit every day...

"Are you slicing?" my mom asks this morning

It's like capturing lightning bugs in the clearest Mason jar
swooping up one memory and screwing on the lid
to admire its significance, its glow
Preserving this chapter
my littles
      my loves
             my thoughts
For them, for me
The responsibilities tug, I wonder
"Do I slice?"

If I don't slice, memories flicker and fade into time's deep, dense, shapeless expanse
If I don't slice, opportunities evaporate to connect with old friends who celebrate, encourage, share
If I don't slice, chances to name and notice these blessings in this little life speed by every day

"Yes.  I'm going to slice," I say for the eighth time.

Write on,
b






5 comments:

  1. "It's like capturing lightning bugs in the clearest Mason jar swooping up one memory and screwing on the lid to admire its significance, its glow Preserving this chapter my littles my loves, my thoughts"
    I love this comparison! That a perfect way to describe what slicing truly is and does for us as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your mom knows you "slice." And I love the title of this--a great metaphor for tackling this gigantic project that requires a lot of our time budget in order for that delightful result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Preserving this chapter
    my littles
    my loves
    my thoughts
    For them, for me"

    Oh, I'm so glad you're here. I can't wait to hear new stories of your littles. Nothing beats seeing your signature sign-off. Write on, b

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a wonderful image of the "dilemma" of writing, needing to write, having no time to write, wanting to write... You encapsulate this so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let those memories flicker and fade! Your writing is a treat every time, so thanks to your mom if her question spurred you into continuing this month-long journey.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)