Saturday, March 7, 2015

7: Saturday...

I lay there
half-expecting it
in the thoughts that lie partially buried in a murky sea bed
I get restless, shifting to the right side and
then back to my favorite left
But it's quiet
there's no buzzing,
no dancing-vibrating thing
clamoring toward the very tip of my nightstand
threatening the end of tonight's journey
I snuggle in again
albeit the smallest part of me
still waits for the other shoe to drop
as if this too-good stretch of slumber could go
poof
at any time
and the really luxurious thing is
that it doesn't
no, it doesn't
because
today
is
special

It's Saturday

Instead
there are padded footsteps
hurrying toward my bedside
and the buttery-soft hand
of a little
reaching out
touching my cheek
inviting me to the day ahead
"Mommy!"
his velvet voice whispers while
climbing up
blankie and friends in tow
nestling in
blonde shocks of babyish hair
cushioning my chin
because
today
is
special

It's Saturday

Write on,
b





6 comments:

  1. Now that's the way to embrace a Saturday! Love the words "buttery-soft hand" and "velvet voice." The little is all sweetness at this moment and it is the moment to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the images...buttery soft hand and velvet voice...rich you are indeed b...xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe!!! This is a sweet piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely cocoon created by Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same padded feet wake up this morning. Your version sounded so much more poetic, though. :) Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss those days of sweet padded feet and blankies and stuffies in tow. Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)