Thursday, March 5, 2015

5: Word play and the girls...

Last night, after bath duty, footie jammies, and stories, I jumped into the Jeep, made my way past four houses -- no judgment: it was snowy -- and parked in front of Francie's house for small group Bible study with some of my favorite girls.

Inside the three of us melted into her gigantic brown leather sectional tucked into a sprawling corner of the family room.  Sunny overhead light cast a warm glow on the newest member of our group --- teeny-tiny Baby Maggie --- who now attends with her mommy; you know, so she can cluster feed before bedtime and we can jockey for who gets the next turn to snuggle her between snacks.

(I waited.  Patiently.)

As always, our 'let's settle in' conversation meandered through myriad topics and then landed decidedly on lactation.  Exhibit A was stealthily stowed under the mod-patterned hooter-hider her mommy wore on the other side of the couch...while Exhibit B (my other friend's baby) slept soundly in her crib at home.

Babyless me listened.

(And, remembered.)

F: "Maggie looooves to cluster feed.  Every night.  Time after time.  Seems like she's never full."

C: "I know!  Emma does that too!  Except she is LOSING weight.  My supply just can't keep up!"

Me: "So, what about lactation cookies?  Have you tried those to boost your supply?  I've had school friends say they really work."

C: "Lactation cookies?!?  I've never heard of such a thing!"

F: "Yep.  Those will do the trick.  I also bought some supplements on QVC -- and wow, they work. Like, I-M-M-E-D-I-A-T-E-L-Y.  If you know what I mean."

(Like taut beach balls...ouch.)

C: "Right now nursing is absolutely exhausting.  My doctor really wants to know how much milk Emma is getting, so he asked me to pump first and offer her bottles for measurement's sake. To do that, I'm pumping at least three times a day."

(I remember being hooked up at all hours to my pump.  Undeniably a labor of love.)

C: "And, I'm nursing.  Wherever; whenever.  I'm so tired of it all.  It sucks."

Me:  "Literally."

(Crickets.  Really.  Crickets.  Then, finally, a giggle.  And, a stare.)

Me: "Hey, that comment was low-hanging fruit.  Just waiting to be picked."

C: "Does your husband get your sense of humor?"

Me: "He has a degree in English."

C: "Ooooooh...."


Write on,
b






14 comments:

  1. You made me laugh his morning! I am still wondering if any male species--English degree or not--can ever understand the complexities of lactation. Lactation cookies??? I learned something new as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaana! Glad I could make you laugh this morning. I hyper linked a lactation cookie recipe into my piece --- they look tasty! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. You had me snort laughing, so my husband wanted to know what I was reading before 6:30 this morning. As I reread the title, I broke out in full laughter. Very clever and funny read today, what talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elsie! I was telling the story to friends at school today and they looked at me like, "You didn't say that. Did you?" Ummmmmm, yes. Glad I could make you snort laugh!

      Delete
  3. Love the conversational writing - and I'm sure there are not a lot of men who would comprehend this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this string of dialogue from your night with the girls! What a convo! I'll tell you, I miss my having a baby at home, but I don't miss all of the pumping and middle of the night wake-ups that went along with caring for an infant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth. It's hard enough now to wake up with the alarm, let alone with a crying, hungry baby. Yes --- a fun conversation! Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  5. A first for me: Reading a blog about breast feeding. This line made me laugh: "And, I'm nursing. Wherever; whenever. I'm so tired of it all. It sucks." The idea of lactation cookies makes me lose my appetite! Many years ago my principal walked in on a teacher who was pumping during lunch; she had her door closed and locked; he used his pass key to enter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I just added a hyperlink into the piece that contains a link to a lactation cookie recipe. Check it out. They actually look pretty tasty! And, yes, I've heard of 'interrupted' pumping sessions at school too. So embarrassing!

      Delete
  6. Haha! That's great. I laughed my butt off. I like the style of writing, I felt apart of the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I had fun writing the piece last night!

      Delete
  7. Haha! That's great. I laughed my butt off. I like the style of writing, I felt apart of the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This so takes me back... Your piece reminds me of how temporary it all is. How one minute we think the trials of breast-feeding might never come to an end, and before we know it, we are tucking them in and heading out. Thanks for taking me back to those moments.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)