Thursday, March 19, 2015

19: Like clockwork...

I pull up into her driveway
and leave the car running
the twenty steps I make to the front door
successively speed up because
I know who is on the other side
waiting on me
to come
like 
clockwork
when the nap is over and
school is done and
the sun is shining
I knock on the weathered brown door
because a little scotch tape and a little piece of paper
cover the doorbell to keep morning drop-offs at a whisper
Afternoon pick-ups, though, come with a shriek
"I do it!!!"
as little feet sprint down the wooden hallway
and little hands swing open the door 
I bend down
and he runs, blue eyes blazing
into my arms
again
like clockwork
"Mama!!!!"
I kiss his ear
and my arms squeeze his tiny trunk in 
the hug I've been waiting on
"How was today?"
"He was super; took a good nap; ate a good lunch.  Even green beans."
"See you tomorrow, little guy.  I love you."
I reach the doorknob
and he wiggles out of my arms
"I do it!!!"
and he does I follow him
out to the purring car and 
around to the back passenger side
where he waits by his door
"Mama, help please!!!"
I lift him up, nuzzle him close and
launch into a story to steal his attention
away from the car seat buckles
"Nose kiss, Mama?"
We lean toward each other and gently rub ours before
I walk on air back around the car
and buckle myself in 
We pull out of the driveway
together




Write on,
b


2 comments:

  1. Love it! What a cutie! I could picture every action, the running to meet you, little hands opening the door, and bending to get a hug. I love that age. Enjoy your little one…they grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's a spark of sunshine in any kind of weather day! The routine of pick-up and back to mama's world should be like clockwork. Loved peeking over your shoulder as you took me through every step.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)