Sunday, March 1, 2015

1: Where I'm From...

I am from coffee breaks,
from baseball games and sweet corn
I am from lazy summer afternoons
in a small town like Mayberry
I am from the church directory
and the family cookbook whose recipes
grew me up and 
grew me strong
I'm from ham loaf and pies
from Carol and Jim
I'm from the gigglers in the back row
and joyful workers who serve
from "It's a long way from your heart"
and "Brennie..."
I'm from Nuts & Bolts* out of the baggie in the basement freezer
and homemade 7-Up punch
I'm from Gorman and Lorraine
and Clarence and Helen
from "forenoon" and "How was school?"
From the furniture factory and the canning factory
the bakery and the appliance shop
In the spare bedroom closet photo albums 
gather to share memories 
black and white, and Kodachrome
of faces I never knew and others I love to nuzzle
I am from these moments--
all the places
where yesterday
encircles today and 
births tomorrow

Write on,

b

*Nuts & Bolts: regional term ('country-ism') for homemade Chex mix


Mentor text: "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon







17 comments:

  1. I love your ending. Such great verbs and thanks for the explanation about "nuts and bolts".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! Nuts and bolts = the best treat! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your ending. Such great verbs and thanks for the explanation about "nuts and bolts".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son's third-grade teacher used Where I'm From as their mentor text. His poem is still on the fridge six years later. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great piece to use as a mentor --- so easy to create a special piece. I can see why your son's is still on the fridge! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. My son's third-grade teacher used Where I'm From as their mentor text. His poem is still on the fridge six years later. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from a lot of the same places, especially the ham loaf and pies (love them both!). So happy to read the way you string words together again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for ham loaf and pies! And small towns, and everything else, right? Thanks, also, for your kind works, Elsie!

      Delete
    2. Um....words. Kind words.

      Delete
  6. It is interesting getting to know someone from their "Where I'm From" poem. I loved the lines "from the church directory" and "faces I never knew and others I love to nuzzle."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, newtreemom! I had fun inserting my own background info. Looking forward to getting to know you this month. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  7. So happy to read your Where I'm From poem and to see you back here. I love your writing, especially these lines from today -
    "I am from these moments--
    all the places
    where yesterday
    encircles today and
    births tomorrow"
    Lovely words and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ramona! You have the gift of encouragement. :) I'm glad to reconnect too... Happy March!!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you are writing this March. I'm glad I get to be a reader. I'm blessed by the way you work words.
    Shine on,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ga-jillion, Ruth. :) I thought of you when I picked this path --- WIF was the mentor you shared during the Warren Writing Project keynote a few years ago. Powerful stuff...

      Delete
  9. SO excited you are slicing this month. I love your words. And now I know a bit more abut where those words - and you - come from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the little nuggets that make me wonder and connect. Beautiful write piece anchored in a mentor test. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)