Saturday, August 16, 2014

Celebrate on Saturdays | Sit...

I sit here now in a quiet house, taking a break from a handful of projects at varying points of completion.  Next to me is the fifth antique dining room chair that has now been repurposed as a part of our entry hallway vignette...it just needs four felt pads to cushion its place.  I moved it to the carpet because one little guy decided it was the perfect thing to push around, cutting thin shallow paths through the sea of cherry wood.  And then there are the Megablocks scattered like seashells across our eat-in kitchen that connects to the family room where their container is stored beside other toys.  Inevitably as soon as I pick them up, the littler little dumps them back out.  It's this little game we play and right now, I'm choosing to ignore the multicolored mess.   The washing machine is churning; the dryer adds its white noise.  I wonder about making some meals to lighten my after-work load next week, and what should be ironed to make mornings easier.  I consider the stacks of resources in my basement I would like to organize, as well as the binders, papers, and books upstairs.

Then I look outside.  Kids bike past, racing home from the pool down the street.  Pets and their owners stroll by, noticing the intricacies of neighborhood yards.  Leaves dance; I imagine their hushed symphony.  Every once in awhile the sun peeks out, making light earth's handiwork.

And I'm still.

Typically, my weekend looks more like rewarmed weekdays with checklists, timeframes, and calendar reminders.  Today, however, I push them aside and celebrate the time to notice, to name, to truly see.

And the view is nice.

Write on,
b

4 comments:

  1. Notice, name, truly see, sit, be still, enjoy the view. Perfect Saturday! Love your effort to step away from weekends that look like rewarmed weekdays. So glad you made time to celebrate even amid the laundry and scattered toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the view, too. :) I especially like the pictures your words painted with these words, "hallway vignette","little littler dumps...multicolored mess" and "intricacies of neighborhood yards."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You create the scene and I'm right there with you. These are the moments to breathe in and savor your surroundings and loved ones. A perfect celebration! Thanks for letting me peek through the window. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have beautifully articulated the power of pausing to see the celebrations around us. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the dinner plans, the ironing, the problem solving. I will surely find myself thinking of this post throughout the week and stop to notice, name, truly see.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)