Saturday, October 19, 2013

Celebration 1: Tiny Prayers...


Every night at bedtime, we are creatures of habit: bath, jammies, vitamins, and brushing teeth with daddy; hair, stories, and prayers at eight with mommy.  It all runs like clockwork, right down to the conversations I share with our four-year-old son.  

"So, what do you want to talk to Jesus about tonight?"

"Kitty (the Knuffle Bunny equivalent in our family), you, Daddy, and Grant." 

"Alright, I think I'd like to thank Jesus for our family too, and also for food to eat and a house to keep us warm.  So I have my things and you have your things...would you like to start or finish?"

"No, Mommy, you can do it all.  I don't know how to pray."
(Which pains me because I've tried to model for him that praying is just a conversation, but that's a whole other blog post.)

So I pray.  We hug.  The lights flicker off.  He chases sleep like a teenager chases work. 

"Mommy, I had a bad dream."  (Predictably, one minute later.)

From my bedroom, I troubleshoot: "Tell Jesus about it.  He can take it all away."  

A resigned "Okay" makes its way though the walls to my heart.  

Next, a tiny voice starts a big conversation:  

Dear Jesus, 
I had a bad dream.
Please take it all away.
Amen.

Decidedly peaceful, his weight shifts, his covers crumple, his breathing slows.  

Tonight, my celebration is that he took the risk -- he talked to Jesus himself and for his purposes.  

And now, he found rest.

Sweet slumber -- 10.19.2013

4 comments:

  1. You do take time to notice small things too. What a sweet moment to capture with words and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears, b, you brought tears. Those kind of tears that you know are divine. I'm celebrating with you and am glad you took the time to document this moment for him to claim later. You are a wise momma.
    Shine on,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift you have given him! In that space you gave him to grow at his own pace, he has found his own purpose, authentic purpose, for prayer and discovered the calm it can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. b,
    That was absolutely beautiful! I loved the way you crafted the post. The dialogue really worked well for this piece. I felt like I was right there with the two of you at bedtime. Loved the line, "He chases sleep like a teenager chases work." (Since I have teenagers I found this hilarious!)

    Most of all, I loved the post because it reminded me of a time I miss. Enjoy those bedtimes. What wonderful things you are teaching him and how important that time is for you both. It's the little moments that are so big.

    I'm celebrating your story. So glad I stopped.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)