Saturday, March 25, 2017

25: That snack...

You know how it feels to just want a snack.

The kind of snack that you should really just reconsider and not put that first delectable, delicious morsel inside your mouth.  The kind of snack with no nutritional integrity but instead a score of sinful adjectives...ooey, gooey, or salty, or sweet, or even salty and sweet together. The kind of snack that you'll regret later but can't seem to turn down....because...

That snack.  

Ree Drummond made that snack on this morning's episode of Pioneer Woman. Barely finished with breakfast I became obsessed with how quickly I might be able to get my hands on that snack.

So in rapid rehearsal, we got out the chocolate chips, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and butter (so it would be room temperature).  We lined up the flour, salt, and baking soda next to an assortment of measuring cups and within reach of the Kitchenaid mixer.

We ran to Target for eight ounces of bagged perfection...

And then we went to town.

Half butter, half shortening (the secret)
brown sugar, white sugar

MIX

Vanilla, two eggs

MIX

Flour, soda, salt

MIX

Chocolate chips

MIX


Pause -- you think you know about this snack, don't you?  Yep; I did too.  I know all about this one. Could make it in my sleep.  But, that Pioneer Woman...you know she doesn't like to just hang with 'standard'.  She likes to make snacks homespun.  And hearty.

So, the next step invited us to get out a gallon-sized baggie and pour in the chips.  All of them.  (Well, except the handful we snitched for two reasons: a) because we do not buy chips at our house, and b) because we couldn't wait [refer to former reason]).  Then, we closed it up and took turns crushing them to medium-sized bits with the first little and smaller bits by the second little.

And then we poured half of them into the batter.  Half.

MIX

Note: I tasted the batter at this point just to ensure we were on the right track.

(Undoubtedly, yes.  That snack...)

Then, we used the cookie scooper to make nice, rounded spoonfuls that we plopped into the remaining clump of crushed chips and rolled them around before a toasty fifteen-minute trip into a 375-degree oven.

That snack.  

Golden. Crunchy.
Chippy. Chocolately.
Ooey, gooey.
Sweet, salty.








Beepbeepbeep.

The downfall to this recipe is what happened next -- waiting five minutes to remove the cookies from the baking sheet.









But oh -- with one bite many details disappeared
time, space,
propriety, objectivity
restraint, concepts of calories and weight
and were replaced by golden, crispy sweet-salty goodness, melty chocolate chips
in ooey-gooey batter.

That snack.

I texted my neighbor who responsibly spent the day working in her yard.  Want a chocolate chip potato chip cookie?

My doorbell rang two minutes later.  I answered with two perfect specimens tucked into my right hand.

We sat on the front doorstep and devoured that snack.



Write on,
b


P.S.  You know you want that snack too.  Here's the link to Ree's recipe...

8 comments:

  1. What!?!? This is revolutionary. I'm going to Target in the morning. These will be made. I was thinking I want to blog one day a week about food. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I love this slice! My favorite part was about how time and space fell away as you tasted your creation. I have never had the pleasure of a chocolate chip potato chip cookie, but you have inspired this baker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are new for me - love the format you used here to show exactly what was done and when. I think I'd like a taste of the delicious batter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So these sound amazing and I laughed out loud that your neighbor rushed right over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This made me want one SO BAD! I loved how you mixed humor with directions to make the recipe fun and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol...I laughed when I read it. You were so into it! They look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know just the right way to spin the words to tell of "that snack." Mouths are watering with the text, but then the photos, oh my!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)