Thursday, March 2, 2017

2: Lion or Lamb?

It is the second day, Dr. Seuss' day
Indecisive snow covers the blooming bulbs
Chilly air overshadows last week's sandals, sun
It is all milquetoast now despite the greening grass
Two nights ago the wind howled
like a freight train
like a spring storm
like an 'almost trip' to the basement
It's too early
for you
for me
for March

Is it in like a lion?  Or a lamb?

I sit in the living room's antique rocking chair
Nestled atop its black leather seat
already wearing wooly slippers, a TC sweatshirt, and jeans
writing, thinking, writing
trying to put thoughts
into words
into stanzas
into sense
into published sense
for you
for me
for March

Is it in like a lion?  Or a lamb?

A neighbor lady runs by our living room window
She's warm from rhythmic breathing
focusing on the next stride and the next
contemplating her day, listening to music
making it all go away until she sees her own driveway
It's nine weeks until the big half-marathon in town
one long run each week
five miles
six miles
seven miles
eight miles
for March

It is in like a lion?  Or a lamb?

The boys form Play-doh masterpieces in the kitchen
They're friendly, perched on bar stools at the island
collaborating on creations, coaching each other
making my mama-heart sing
It's been a long time coming
after fits
and tears
and time-outs
and retail therapy
and prayers
for March

Is it in like a lion?  Or a lamb?

Is it possible, both?


Write on,
b



4 comments:

  1. I have such memories of elementary school crafts about lions and lambs... I can't help but think of them in March. I think I once wrote a slice about it too - but I love yours, because of the poetry and the slicing and the repeated lion and lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment in life, is there? Loving "writing, thinking, writing
    trying to put thoughts
    into words
    into stanzas
    into sense
    into published sense
    for you
    for me
    for March..." Sitting here doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The boys form Play-doh masterpieces in the kitchen
    They're friendly, perched on bar stools at the island
    collaborating on creations, coaching each other
    making my mama-heart sing"
    Oh, those are heavenly words, but your words coming after affirm that it's not always like this (I love the honesty of slicers). All the more reason to celebrate this moment in time. Glad you captured it here. And March? Lion or lamb? Definitely a little of both, but mostly lion in my patch of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is both. Absolutely. Every day is both. You just have to concentrate on the lambs. And you always seem to do just that.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)