Sunday, March 20, 2016

20: The egg and the hair dryer...


The egg-decorating project reached a standstill late yesterday afternoon.
Little Emmie clarified, "The plastic doesn't fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, Aunt Brenna."

Her mommy added, "Well, when I was little we always used to put the eggs in really hot water 
to shrink the too-big plastic bands, but that may take away the eggs' coloring."

I extended, "When I used to work part-time at Pottery Barn, 
during Christmas we'd always use cellophane bags.  
They came in one size -- big and square -- and then we would add 
whatever gift the store wanted to feature.  
You know what the trick is for shrinking a cellophane bag?"

"Sure!" everyone replied without pause.

"A hair dryer!" I whispered.

So the eggs skittered around on the plastic blue plate all the way down the L-shaped hallway 
and then rested on the bathroom countertop while I plugged in the hair dryer.

I wondered, "Could I just do them all at once?" 




So, I tried.
To save you the suspense, it didn't work.  Not even a little bit. 




The eggs would need to be done one-by-one.
So I held each one between my thumb and first finger,
rotating it every time the heat became too much.

1.
2.
3.
4.
and
5.




"Emmie!!!!  Look!  The hair dryer worked!"  I called.
And two little sets of little girl hands filled the blue plate 
to merge egg displays into one...




...in the center of the kitchen island.

"Can we eat them know?" a little voice chirped.



Write on,
b

4 comments:

  1. Those look great! I think I have used those before, but we colored them after putting on the plastic sleeve in the hot water. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I think I have used those before, but we colored them after putting on the plastic sleeve in the hot water. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved coloring eggs with my daughter. I wish she was six again. She is thirteen now. I hope she will decorate them with me this year. Love the memory this post evoked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! That hair dryer can get hot, quickly, but the eggs look great. Good thing you knew the trick to shrinking the cellophane. Love the ending!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)