Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2012 Slice-of-Life Story Challenge | 13

I guess I didn't believe the forecast.  Mid-70s on March 13?  In Indiana?

Last night while laying out my clothes (like I always do), I checked the forecast (like I always do).  Sunny, 74.  My mind instantly equated the 74-degree high to like, 4:00 or 5:00 p.m., and I made the snap decision to forgo fashion and stay warm in my temperature-challenged school building.

(You see, and like you probably well know, schools have funny rules about turning boilers off and on...so needless to say, my elementary is frigid.  Blue lips and nails, jackets on teachers far and wide, classrooms in the low 60s.  No connection to the outer world.)

I stepped into the closet and confidently pulled out my warm, cozy red sweater dress.  It's been my favorite all winter since plucking it out of the Tommy Hilfiger department at Lord & Taylor while at NCTE last fall.  I love it with my soft black leggings, dark riding boots, and argyle knee socks.  Oh, yes, and since it's short-sleeved, the perfect complement is my absolute favorite piece of clothing ever --- a black turtleneck.  I wear this outfit often.  (My co-workers may track it on a calendar.)  It's my go-to because it's fashionable and comfortable; warm and still flattering.  I figured today it would be just the ticket. 

I was the red sweater at school today
who looked more like a holiday greeting
than an inspired Gap window dressing

I was the red sweater at school today
who wore warmed-over winter
not fresh pinks, greens, and yellows

I was the red sweater at school today
who dressed for the calendar
not the forecast

I was the red sweater at school today
who covered up in black leggings and boots
no ballet flats and capri pants

I was the red sweater at school today
who melted under long sleeves
no cool breezes met my arms

I was the red sweater at school today
who dreamed of what I could've worn instead
no wintery woolens

So, take heart.  I've learned from my fashion faux pas.  Tomorrow, it's my dressy black capri pants, a comfy black cami under a raspberry belted cardigan, and some fun pointy-toe kitten heels. 

Me.  Revitalized.  Me.  Springy.  Me sans red sweater.

Write on,
b

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a picture of your outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! I have had so much trouble dressing for the weather this week. In fact, I wrote a post yesterday about this same thing!

    Jennifer K.
    Web.me.com/aggiekesler/myjourneyabroad

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you are thinking right now, so please take a sec and drop me a line. I'm so glad you stopped by today -- thanks a billion. :)